At Filta, we have been at the forefront of innovation in Fat, Oil, Grease (FOG) management for over 20 years and have evolved with the market and water company requirements. As an established team of FOG management experts, we are the leading choice for commercial kitchen FOG solutions in the UK.
The UK FOG Experts
We offer solutions designed to suit your specific requirements, our FOG experts will install a FOG management system that suits your specific circumstances, needs, and budget. We’ll also help you determine the most effective service and maintenance schedule for your situation.
3 Steps To FOG Management
Years of experience has taught us that no two sites are ever the same. For this reason, we don’t subscribe to a “one size fits all” solution for FOG management. Our preferred method of business is to complete a site survey before we recommend equipment or a comprehensive maintenance schedule. This allows us to tailor a service that in our best judgement is ideal for your particular needs and circumstances whether your establishment is a small local restaurant, a large skyscraper, a sports stadium or any other hot food catering establishment.
We are on the frontline fighting the battle against the fatbergs and have a range of products to help you combat fats, oils and grease and ensure that your commercial kitchen is able to run smoothly.
From bacterial dosing to large automatic grease recovery units we supply and install a comprehensive solution for your commercial kitchen needs making you instantly compliant with the wastewater regulations.
The GreaseMaster is a compliant system designed to fit under the sink to remove fat, oil and grease from kitchen wastewater before it gets to the drains. The GRU is the latest addition to our FOG management product range and is the most innovative solution to date. The GreaseMaster continuously operates under hydro static pressure with no moving parts. Uniquely, the product is also ambidextrous making it extremely versatile.
The Fatstrippa features a three stage operation to efficiently remove food debris and waste Fats, Oils and Grease (FOGs) from commercial kitchen washing up operations. Our FOG management experts have designed a high quality product that helps to ensure that your kitchen is able to run smoothly at all times, without drain blockages or potential odour caused by FOGs.
The GD Pro active drain maintenance system automatically protects drain lines against blockages.The optimum dose ofbiological fat digester is dispensed from the wall-mounted unit – at a preset time of day – ensuring against the build-up offat, oil and grease.The fluid comes in various concentrations,so renewals can vary from 3-monthly to bi-annually.
Other Products Available
Our FOG management team offers a crucial advantage over local competitors. We do not align ourselves with a particular product or FOG management system, therefore priding ourselves on providing a service and not just a range of products. With solutions designed to suit your specific requirements, our grease experts will install a FOG management system that suits your specific circumstances, needs, and budget.
Contact us today to find out more about our product offering.
Maintenance and Support Contracts
We offer FOG management maintenance contracts to commercial kitchen owners across the country. We service all equipment, whether it was installed by Filta or by a different grease management provider. Our services cover grease traps, grease recovery units, biological dosing systems, sediment interceptors and any other FOG management solution and includes:
Our servicing and maintenance plan includes:
- The emptying and removal of all grease waste from site.
- Washing down all FOG management equipment after providing a thorough deep clean to remove any excess grease and improve performance.
- If your site has a bacterial dosing unit installed, we will replenish the fluid and check the batteries to ensure the pump is dosing correctly.
Even if we haven’t supplied your FOG management system, we are happy to maintain them and because of our service volumes, are often able to do so for less than the manufacturer’s service costs.
We are committed to ensuring your equipment protects your drainage for grease accumulations.
All work is accompanied by a waste transfer note to confirm the environmental disposal of waste. We also provide customers with before and after photos to demonstrate the quality of our work.
Our dedicated customer service team are also available to support you with any of your grease management requirements.
Contact our team on 08452 022 999.
Fat, Oil and Grease (FOG) does not just cause problems in local drainage systems – it causes major issues for sewer networks.
The reduced capacity of the network caused by FOG accumulations can lead to surcharges where sewers are forced to ‘overflow’ into rivers, streams and beaches. Many major utilities have set up task forces to address the problem and are adopting a ‘polluter’ pays principle.
Fat, oil and grease cost the UK Water industry an estimated £15M per year (Source – Anglian Water).
Anglian Water estimate that 10,000 tonnes of fat, oil and grease enter the drainage system each year alone – reducing the sewer capacity by up to 10% (Source – Anglian Water).
The Environment Agency estimate 75% of sewer blockages are caused by a build-up of FOG (Source – Environment Agency).
The Environment Agency estimate that Sewer Blockages account for over 100,000 environmental incidents each year. (Source – Environment Agency.
Thames Water reported that in 2007/2008 over 60,500 sewer blockages reported were caused in part by FOG. (Source – Environment Agency).
Severn Trent Water clears around 50,000 blockages a year and fat contributes to the majority of those as it binds together all of the other things that end up in the sewer rather than the bin and creates huge lumps which block the sewers.
Over 10 million tonnes of food and drink waste is produced each year in the UK.
With our team of FOG management and drainage experts, you can rest assured that legislation will be followed correctly whilst you are provided with a service of the very highest standard.
There are 6 laws and regulations governing the disposal of food waste fat, oil and grease and preventing it from entering
drains and sewers. Failure to adhere to these can lead to enforcement and prosecution. For more info check out info about FOG legislation here
Our team of grease management experts have put together a list of tips and best practices for correctly managing FOG:
Dry wipe and clean excess food off cookware and plates before washing them and dispose of food waste with other solid waste. This will greatly reduce the amount of FOG going into your grease management solution and ensure it functions more effectively.
2. Use A Waste Food Strainer
Food debris can quickly build up in the drains restricting the wastewater flow. By using a waste food strainer, you can prevent even small grains of rice entering the drain. Food collected in the strainer must then be emptied into a rubbish bin.
3. Schedule Regular Maintenance
Make sure that your grease management equipment is regularly checked and maintained according to the operating instructions. Certain products require daily or weekly actions to be carried out by staff in addition to the routine servicing by our grease management specialists.
4. Keep A Record Of FOG Management
It is important to keep a log of all grease management maintenance and routine actions by staff, problems encountered, and work carried out by professionals as this will help you fine tune your grease management processes and optimise your service intervals.
5. Arrange For Waste Contractor To Collect Recycled Oil
If your kitchen has an automation grease recovery unit (GRU) installed, it is vital that your employees are using it correctly. Never tip the waste oil collected in the oil cassette back down the drain. Instead the waste oil captured by the grease management system should be stored in a separate container or drum and arranged to be collected by a waste oil contractor. Certain GRU’s such as the GreaseMaster, has very minimal water content and is suitable for use in the production of biodiesel, making it a very sustainable solution.
A Single pot wash produces in 48h the amount of 7.04 Kg food waste and 3.75L FOG to drain.
• Pot Wash Sinks & Dishwashers
• Oven’s Discharging to Drain
• A total managed system which requires no input from the user.
• Hassle free mobilisation, all equipment installed in minutes by one of our trained technicians.
• It is a complete Fit & Forget sytem.
• Planned return visits throughout the year to fully maintain system and replenish enzymes.
• All battery powered – does not use any mains power.
• Helps prevent costly blockages and bad smells.
Fats, oils and grease also have an impact on wastewater treatment plants. Grease congealing in settling tanks form rancid skins, and blockages in digesters and other pipe works may necessitate shutting down wastewater treatment units. Problems caused by catering waste have resulted in legislation governing the discharge and disposal of grease matter into waste water systems. This type of waste requires the installation of preliminary treatment facilities, commonly known as grease traps or interceptors.
Grease traps can range in size from small under counter units at the point of use, to large units with a few thousand gallons capacity serving multiple cleaning points. Larger units are often located on the exterior of the building. The important thing is that the capacity of an interceptor, and the rate of flow provides adequate residence time for the wastewater to cool, thereby allowing the grease time to congeal and rise to the surface where it accumulates until it is pumped out.
We offer the following:
• Education: We will work with kitchen and maintenance staff to identify sources of FOG, and look for the most effective ways of eliminating them. We are able to inform kitchen staff of alternatives to their current practices, and train them in the correct procedure and schedule for their chosen grease management systems. We provide printed reference documentation and checklists (where appropriate) for the equipment we install and service.
• Maintenance: We help you establish and manage a maintenance schedule and log for your whole treatment programme that specifically takes into account the demands made on your systems. We also ensure that relevant staff are assigned duties of cleaning and caring for your grease management devices.
• Follow up: We check back periodically to insure that your grease management program is working effectively. This includes checking interceptors, dosing units, log books, and talking with the kitchen staff. We provide you with an integrated program that will reduce the amount of jetting required for keeping your lines clear, thereby reducing your annual maintenance cost and the likelihood of being in breach of your regulatory obligations.
• Pre-Treatment Devices: Small devices require frequent maintenance and are less efficient. Larger devices allow for a greater storage time and more grease retention. Mechanical separators are fairly small units and work well as long as they are cleaned and maintained on a regular basis.
• Registered Waste Contractors: We are registered with the Environment Agency to collect, manage, and dispose of your FOG waste legally, and provide you with the necessary waste transfer documentation for any waste we remove from your site.
• Nationwide Reach: We are a truly national company who work across the length and breadth of mainland UK.
What Clients Say
“I have utilised the services of Filta for over eight years. I have found them to be professional in all that they undertake, their in depth knowledge is invaluableand they are always prepared to take ownership and responsibility for anything they are asked to do. Filta’s knowledge and ability is in my experience and opinion second to none. I would have no hesitation in using Filta for future work and would not hesitate in recommending their use to others.”
“I would recommend Filta to anyone who has problems with fats, oils and grease in the drains and want to make their site compliant with all regulations at very short notice.”
“We instructed Filta to put in-place a proactive grease management programme on a national basis. I have found Filta to be reliable, responsive and professional and would be happy to recommend them to others.”