Facts About FOG
Fat does not just cause problems in local drainage systems - it causes major issues for sewer networks.
The reduced capacity of the network caused by FOG accumulations can lead to surcharges where sewers are forced to 'overflow' into rivers, streams and beaches. Many major utilities have set up task forces to address the problem and are adopting a 'polluter' pays principle.
- Fat, oil and grease cost the UK Water industry an estimated £15M per year. (Source - Anglian Water)
- Anglian Water estimate that 10,000 tonnes of fat, oil and grease enter their drainage system each year alone – reducing the sewer capacity by up to 10%. (Source - Anglian Water)
- The Environment Agency estimate 75% of sewer blockages are caused by a build-up of FOG. (Source - Environment Agency)
- The Environment Agency estimate that Sewer Blockages account for over 100,000 environmental incidents each year. (Source - Environment Agency)
- Thames Water reported that in 2007/2008 over 60,500 sewer blockages reported were caused in part by FOG. (Source - Thames Water)
(Image taken from Thameswater MediaArchive)
Our service is carried out in 3 Stages:
Filta will survey your establishment, to correctly identify your requirements.
Our trained engineers will install a grease management system to suit your needs.
On a regular basis, we will ensure the equipment is working effectively & efficiently.